Wednesday 4 May 2011

Evaluation-In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The front cover is quite typical to the other music magazines on the market. Influenced from an issue of NME, the colour scheme is basic yet still has one/two bold colours to attract the audience. The artists head overlaps over the brand name as that draws attention to the artist and alos the brand name is already recognisable. The artist is not looking at the camera though, which is slightly unconventional as pretty much all the artists do with magazine front covers.















My contents page in the end has sticked to the conventional layout of a music magazine and I'd say I have followed the conventions of NME again here. The colour scheme is quite minimal with one major bold colour that makes the fonts stand out more. What I decided to do though was instead of having an "Editor's notes" section, I decided to have a "Editor's quotes" section. This is a bit more quirky and may want readers to read them. Personally, I don't look at the "Editor's notes" because some can just drag on, so a quote is easier and quicker to read but still gets a message across.











Finally, my DPS is quite unconventional compared to others on the market. However, it was influenced from an article in Q magazine. The body is laid out around the main image instead of being on top of it. This draws attention to Becky who is the "centre of attention" in the middle of the tunnel. I also added a mid shot photo of Becky with a vignette frame so readers actually know who she is. Again, the colour scheme has been kept very basic-white font on top of a black background. If I had enough room, I would have included a pull quote. However, when placed on the DPS, the balance of text and images became unbalanced.

Overall though, whether they're conventional or not, I'm proud of all three pieces of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment